Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cedars birth story



46 weeks ago Cedar started his way into this world. It all started on Monday when I lost my mucus plug. I went in to be checked and I was 3 centimeters. I went home. Tuesday night I got acupuncture. We were all ready to go to the hospital, but nothing was happening, that would last. Contractions would start up and stop. Wednesday morning I awoke with contractions 5 minutes apart, not too strong, but a good start. I wanted to be at the hospital once my labor started, I knew once it got started it would be strong and fast. I wanted to labor in tub as long as possible.  Once I was in triage my contractions stopped. I went home with my head held low. That was 12-12-12. I took 3 loops around Cedar trail. Willing my labor to start. Nothing happened. Thursday I did nothing, I sat and worked on homework, in fact I was waiting for Friday to comment on peer paper, because that was when our projects were due. I picked up Sequoia from school, that was the only time I really did anything. It was a normal night. I went to bed at 9 pm. I awoke at 11:30 pm to pee. My water broke once I got out of bed. I rushed to the toilet. EWW! I decided to call the midwives, told her what was happening and layed back down. About 5 minutes the first contraction hit me like a wave crashing into me full force. OUCH! After about 5 or 10, I don’t remember, I decided to get into the tub, and call my mom. I labored hard in the tub until about 1:30 am, when my mom got there. We raced to the hospital. I was in triage at 2 am. Hard labor had set in. I had to vocalize my energy to get through each contraction. I was very uncomfortable. Around 2:40 am, I am finally able to go to a room. When I got there, the tub wasn't even being set up, the Jacuzzi had just started filling up. I jumped into the Jacuzzi right way, and immediately wanted to throw up, thank goodness I didn't. Chaos broke out in the hospital bathroom. Heart monitors not working, IV, do you want the tub to be set up?, you can refuse not to get the IV. All of a sudden I was pushing, baring down. Uncontrollably strong bearing down contractions. I couldn't breath through it, they were too strong. It scared me. I wasn't sure how far I was dilated. The tub wasn't filled up. The nurses couldn't get the heart monitor thing to work, I couldn't help them. I turned around and his head begin to crown. I yelled its coming! My midwife was right there when I stood up and  pushed his head out. It burned. I had to hold off pushing the next contraction to unravel his cord wrapped around his neck. Then the next contraction he slid out. Alina telling me to grab my baby, but I could not let go of the tub railings. my eyes were slammed shut. Alina caught him, and told me to lay back in the tub as she gave him to me. I was shaking and in shock. It was 3:28 am when Cedar entered the world. He weighted 8lb 13oz and was 20 inches long.


No comments:

Post a Comment